Thursday, April 5, 2012

return

Let us return to the root of all artwork. . cave paintings.  I had the privilege of seeing the caves of Lascaux and Rouffignac during our trip through France a few years back.  No photography was allowed so I sure was glad that I had brought my sketchbook.  I inked what I saw using a calligraphy pen and then replicated the cave colors digitally in Photoshop once I returned home.

Sorry this isn't a new piece, but it's a perfect introduction to a topic I've been wanting to discuss about illustration:  style.  One concept that is often emphasized in the conferences I've attended is that an illustrator wants to represent a consistent and unique art style in his/her portfolio.

This is a problem for me. . .because I like to work in a variety of styles:
inked & realistic
abstract & geometric





digital

loose & sketchy

inked & painterly



just painterly

The topic/project usually helps me choose which style to use on each illustration.  I've especially been focusing on the last two (inked & painterly + painterly) to bring more focus to my portfolio, but sometimes. . oh, sometimes. . I just want to explore.  I think I'm going to try that a bit for a few days ;).

How about you guys?  Do you have a distinctive style?  Do you have many?  What helps you choose which style to feature in your portfolio? I'd love to hear about your experiences!


2 comments:

  1. This is neat. Unique and an interesting reminder that mankind has always loved art! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete